It was a few weeks ago that I shared this progress post for the Irish Lullaby.
And I did have the top finished and backing ready before I started working on the Monkey Business I shared last week. But it took me a little more convincing before wanting to baste this quilt because it is a lot larger than my kitchen table.
It's been a while since I started a new project by first choosing the backing fabric. I dug into the drawer of yardage and found this piece from the Urban Mod collection from Art Gallery Fabrics. Then I chose Spraytime by Makower UK for the background and because I love the cool aquas and vibrant green in that backing print, I chose these Kona solids to match: Ice Frappe, Azure, Pool, Caribbean, Cactus and Lime.
Of course, the quilting is my usual organic wavy lines using my walking foot. I chose a blue/green/purple variegated thread from Superior Threads for this, both on top and in the bobbin and I opted to bind using the backing fabric.
The "Irish Lullaby" lap quilt finished at 54" x 70"
and was the 35th use of my 2nd edition of 100 labels
ordered from Ikaprint.
Don't hold this against me....
But this photo would look a lot nicer against a snowy background.
That is the one thing I do miss about winter!
I don't design very many traditional styled quilt patterns. I do love to make patterns that include animals. But I was drawn in by the combination of the Irish Chain and the the star like block in the center of these blocks. This is called Irish Lullaby and can be found here in my pattern shop.
This design can be made using one colour along with the background, in both a positive or negative setting....
Or in two colours along with the background, as shown with this green and mauve setting.....
Or in a 3x3 colour setting along with the background.....
Or in a 2x4 colour setting along with the background.....
By using one of these three block sizes:
10" 15" or 20" blocks
The finished quilt would be one of these three sizes:
36" x 47", 54" x 70" or 72" x 94"
I went with the 2x4 colour setting, but decided on a dark background.
And made the 15" blocks so the quilt would finish at 54" x 70".
Linking up to Finish it up Friday with
Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts
Keep On Quilting On!
To follow Sew Fresh Quilts by email....